January is now over and we're already into the second week of February! By this time, many of the resolutions we made at the start of the year have fallen by the wayside. I had quite the list of resolutions this year (see here), but I've been very determined to see them through. I would say I've been successful with just over half of them so I thought it would be a good idea to evaluate why I'm succeeding with some but failing with others. Today, I'm sharing a few tips on how to keep your new years resolutions:
1. Re-evaluate your list of resolutions. Are they attainable and realistic? A goal like travelling the world probably won't be as achievable as a goal like getting to work on time or going to bed earlier. Ensure you haven't created a list that has set you up for failure.
2. Tackle one resolution at a time. If you have a list of 10+ things you want to approve upon, try starting with one. Focus your attention on that one and come up with a realistic plan on how you can make it happen.
3. If your resolution is very vague, narrow it down even more. One of my resolutions was to not spread myself so thin. Now this could apply to many areas of my life but right now I'm focusing on not overcommitting myself to plans or events so that I have enough time to spend with my family and to complete my work.
4. Ask yourself "How important is this to me?". The reality is if your resolution or goal doesn't play a large importance to you, it will be that much harder to keep. Change can only happen if you have the willpower and desire to make it happen. For me, my relationship with my husband is extremely important, so my determination to keep my resolution on not spreading myself too thin encourages me to make it happen.
5. Write out concrete steps to achieving your resolution. It's all fine and dandy to have a list of what we want to improve upon, but actually creating the steps to make it all possible is where it really counts. Try to create a plan that can be implemented in your daily life so that you can set yourself up for the best possible outcome.
What do you do to ensure you keep your goals and resolutions?
Follow along with Follow