Ring set 1: c/o Earrings and Stuff | Ring Set 2: c/o Earrings and Stuff | Ring 3: c/o Earrings and Stuff | White coat: Le Chateau | Boyfriend jeans: Garage similar | Mom jeans: Zara | Velvet top: c/o Sans Souci | Bag: Gucci
Last year, I found myself getting into a really negative rut. Everything on a daily basis was feeling routine and I was getting bored, burned out and just overall unhappy. I have made quite a few personal life changes in the last year to help me get out of my own negative head space (more on that later) but I've also been doing some daily activities to help me feel positive overall.
I'm definitely no expert on finding happiness but I know what's helped for me this past year. Today I want to share a few ways I stay more positive on a daily basis and hope it can get the wheels turning in your head for how you can be more positive too!
1. Start the day by being thankful. In January this past year, I started listing everything I was thankful for before starting my day. Sometimes it's so easy to focus on the negative, but life could always be worse. I rather celebrate the good that's happening rather than fixating on the negative. This simple notion has completely changed how I feel each day. Even when the day doesn't turn out as planned, being grateful has kept things in perspective and reminded me how blessed I really am.
2. Surround yourself with like-minded positive people. When I was younger, my mom would say: "Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are". Negativity breeds negativity so the last thing you want is to surround yourself with people that are negative. Instead, spend time with people that have similar attitudes, goals and aspirations and you will find yourself inspired, excited and driven.
3. Don't sweat the small stuff. Now this one has been difficult for me as I've been a perfectionist with a touch of OCD for as long as I can remember. My house always had to look perfect and everything done perfectly but boy was that exhausting! I've learned to let the little things go, because really, if my dishes don't all get done today, what's the worst that could happen? Not sweating the small stuff is definitely something that requires a little more training and time, but I promise if you work on yourself to let things go a little, you will feel way less stressed and happier at the end of the day.
4. Get more sleep. When I finally started sleeping more at night, it totally hit me as to why I was a big grumpy bear every friggen morning, I was sleep deprived! Sleep has so many health benefits and largely impacts your mood and psychosocial health. Not enough sleep, especially on a regular basis screws with your cortisol levels (stress hormone) and can make you a more unpleasant person to be around!
5. Self Reflect. If you find yourself feeling unhappy or negative on a daily basis, maybe it's time to do a little self-reflection and find out why. There may be some minor changes that you can work on to help lift your spirits or you may address some deeper concerns or issues you've been harbouring for a long time. Last year, it was a combination of both for me. Once I was able to determine everything that was making me unhappy, I was able to set goals and create an actual plan to get me out of that rut.
What are some things you do to help stay positive?
This post is brought to you by Earrings and Stuff. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Follow along with Follow